We are still working on version 11 of PHPRunner and ASPRunner.NET. From the engineering point of view, this is a huge redesign that will significantly improve the user experience.
Many things take more time than expected. We expect the stable version to be available before the end of year 2023.
- Much faster UI
- Much faster work with large ( 1000+ tables ) projects
- Multi-user work!
- Revisions and roll-backs
- Later: Mac/Linux versions
- Project data will be stored in the real database instead of SQLite and XML. It can eiher be a built-in database server that will come with the software or users can use their own database ( SQL Server, MySQL, Postgre ).
- Since this is a regular database, data can be exported as a SQL file and stored in a version control system like SVN or Git.
- UI improvement: project groups. You can create groups inside a project and move objects like tables and views there. Each group can also have its own relationship diagram. These groups will appear on all screens in the software.
- Multi-user environment. One user starts editing table settings, this table automatically becomes locked, all other users will see it in read-only mode. Once user saves the project, new settings can be immediately seen by other users. There will also be manual lock functionality that would allow to make changes to common settings like Security.
- Developers can be located anywhere in the world. There will be no need to provide a direct access to the database for remote users. PHPRunner/ASPRunner.NET will connect to the application server which will handle all database communication.
- Revisions. You can review all revisions, can open an old version of the project in read-only mode, can rollback to that revision if required. Open two copies of the same project in two different instances of PHPRunner or ASPRunner.NET, one is current and another one is an older revision, and then copy something from one project to another.
- Adding comments to saves/revisions ( manually and automatically ). Comments will be searchable that will help you quickly locate the revision you looking for.
This will be a game-changer! Plus it won’t break project compatibility and all v10.x project will open and build without any issues. Also, switching to HTML-based UI will make PHPRunner and ASPRunner.NET wizard software much better looking. It opens possibilities like light and dark themes in the software itself.
And for those who are interested to see how the internal structure of version 11 looks check this high-level diagram.